More people could be arrested in connection with the murders of two minor boys from a Limpopo village after their bodies were recently discovered.
Provincial police spokesman Colonel Moatshe Ngoepe said there was a possibility of more arrests after one suspect Madimetja Lucas Chuene‚ 37‚ appeared before the Polokwane Magistrate’s Court on Monday for allegedly killing Petrus Shoka ‚7‚ and Samuel Ngobeni‚10.
- Missing kids found dead
Chuene who is believed to be the 10-year-old’s stepfather is one of four people including three sangomas who were initially arrested for the killings last week Friday.
However Ngoepe said the three sangomas were released after they were questioned and authorities established that they could not be linked with the murders. Petrus and Samuel both from Thokgoaneng village near Lebowakgomo had been playing in the area when they vanished a week ago. Their decomposed bodies were discovered by locals inside a dam on Thursday evening.
Before that‚ residents and police had spent days searching the area.
Both boys apparently had head injuries when their bodies were found‚ however the cause of death is yet to be confirmed through post-mortem reports.
Ngoepe said they would only be able to ascertain whether Chuene was the only suspect in the case as investigations unfold.
He urged members of the public and the family to refrain from interfering with investigations describing the case as sensitive and complex.